Established in 1905, the North Conway Fire Department is a Fire and Rescue operation. We respond to all sorts of fire calls including
structure fires, hazardous materials, alarm activation and arcing electrical wires. We also respond to resuce calls including vehicle accidents,
high angle rescues, water and ice rescues, and we provide medical assistance to the in-town Ambulance service. We are not a transporting agency.
Current membership includes our full-time Chief and Assistant Chief, with about 45 volunteer on-call members.
We have four engine companies : initial attack (E1), ladder operations (T2), water supply (E3) and Rescue (X1).
We also have a forestry/wildland/brush unit, a sled for winter rescues, a flat-bottom boat, and an air supply truck.
Read the 2011 Chief's Annual Report (pdf)
Read the 2007 Chief's Report (pdf)
Read the 2006 Chief's Report (pdf)
The Old Days
Our current station was constructed in 1953. Here are some photos of our early days
Fires of Great Import
The McMillan House - September 1899
In 1899, a fire of unknown cause destroyed one of the town's earliest inns. A guest discovered the fire, and after alerting other sleeping guests, raced into North Conway village to summon help. Loss of the hotel and stable were estimated to be nearly $10,000.
Birchmont - February 1970
By the time Bob & Betty Knapp realized their inn was on fire, the telephone line had burned through. All 20 guests were safely evacuated. At the height of the fire, sparks were falling as far away as Duprey Road. Extremely high winds had begun to die down just before the fire began.
Kearsarge Chapel - October 1991
It is believed that this fire could have been smoldering for 36 hours before it broke out in earnest.
Eckberg's Apartment House - January 1990
A fire in this former barn on Kearsarge Rd. left seven people homeless. Residents escaped through windows. Members of the Ski Bees ski club used a ladder to rescue the inhabitant of the second floor apartment.
Hotel Eastman - May 1917
Only weeks after the NCFD was formed, the village was visited by one of the worst fires in its history. Two thirds of the Hotel Eastman's furniture was saved but most of the silver, linen and china was lost. A contemporary newspaper account referred to the firefighters as "plucky".
Kearsarge Hotel - October 1917
During the same fateful year that the NCFD was formed, another of the grand hotels was lost. By this time, most of the able bodied men of the village had entered the war. One thousand people arrived to watch the Kearsarge succumb.
Sunset Pavilion - June 1940
Only exceptionally fine work on the part of firefighters kept the blaze in the one hundred room hotel from spreading to adjacent buildings. Wylie Apt flying over the hotel had discovered the fire breaking through the roof and tried to attract attention by dipping his wings.
Randall House - November 1925
"The NCFD was summoned and responded nobly. These fellows worked like Trojans, and did it feverently. Our boys did noble work and when all saw the impossibility to quench the fire, they turned their energies towards saving the Dondero Block." The Randall House had previously burned in 1902.
Gray's Inn, Bartlett - July 1983
Within 20 minutes of being reported, fire had totally engulfed the massive structure. The Inn had burned previously in 1902, 1903 and 1916. Varnish on a front porch across the street dripped off from the intense heat, estimated to be one thousand degrees. It took only four hours for the four story Inn to collapse.
Grant's Store/White Mountain Bank - July 1981
75 firefighters and 12 pieces of apparatus from Glen, Bartlett, Jackson and North Conway battled a blaze that did an estimated $1m damage. Seven tankers relayed water from the pool at Linderhoff.